OLS - North is one of two agencies which support the development of public libraries across Ontario. In the North there are approximately 121 public libraries representing cities, towns, townships, local service boards, First Nation communities and fly-in communities over a vast geographic area. We endeavour to assist and provide services to encourage library development in some of Northern Ontario's most remote locations.
Our Service Area:
- Covers an area of 803,379 km2, or 88% of Ontario’s total land mass.
- Extends across two time zones.
- Has a population of 786,443, or 7% of Ontario’s total population (2001 census).
- Has a population that is 33% rural.
- More than 3/4 of the urban population lives in five major cities of Thunder Bay, Sault Ste. Marie, Timmins, Sudbury and North Bay.
- Includes over 150 unincorporated communities.
- Includes communities that cannot be accessed by road.
- Is home to 104 of Ontario’s 134 First Nations communities.
- Is home to 29% of Ontario’s Francophone population.